1 minute reading time
Top 10 Reasons to Refer to a Home Health Provider
A referral to a home health provider should be considered if any of the following conditions are present and assuming the patient will have any difficulty safely leaving the home or it requires a taxing effort on the part of the patient or their family.
- Patient has a new diagnosis or an exacerbation of an existing chronic condition.
- Patient is at risk for falling due to balance, weakness, caregiver deficits, home safety concernsor new assistive devices.
- Patient has new or >3 prescription medications prescribed and has deficits that may impact medication compliance.
- Patient has no/limited/inadequate caregiver support necessary to realize consistent and safe, stablization at home.
- Patient needs education/assistance with wound care, disease process or associated signs and symptoms.
- Patient would benefit from in-home rehab to restore strength and balance for ADLs such as bathing, ambulating, transfering.
- Patient has or is at risk for unstable vital signs and would benefit from daily monitoring for some time.
- Patient is at risk for readmission in the weeks after discharge for any reason.
- Patient has some pain that might interfere with their activity at home.
- Patient has cognitive deficits/dementia that may impact medication compliance, depression, socialization.